Sunday, December 04, 2005

The Bus Ride

Dawn. I´m awakened by the shake and rattle of the bus for what must be the 20th time. I realize that we´ve been driving on a dirt road for the past 100 miles. I pull back the curtain and peek out the window to see a cresent moon floating above the orange and pink horizon in the pre-dawn light. I can see for miles in every direction across the barren pampas with no trees or buildings obscuring the view. I try to take it all in before leaning back to get more sleep.
Last night I awoke in the dark and peered out the window wiping away the condensation on the glass with my fingures. I was still half asleep as I gazed at the night sky and was amazed by the hundreds of thousands of stars I could see. The Southern Cross shined brightly and the Milky Way was in full effect streaking across the sky. I just stared out the window until I dozed off again and later wondered if it wasn´t just a dream.

The road to El Calafate!


Finally, we started seeing snow frosted mountains in the distance and knew we were close to El Calafate. The bus pulled into town almost exactly 24 hours after our departure in Bariloche but the day looked sunny and bright so we were excited about the adventures to come.

No comments: