Sunday, March 16, 2008

To Izmir...

Today’s our travel day to Izmir. We wanted to take the ferry across the Sea of Marmar then the bus to Izmir but apparently that only runs in the high season after May. The alternatives were a 10 hour bus ride or an hour flight for $20 more. So the flight it was! We planned an hour and a half for the cab ride to the airport since we have no idea about traffic, but on this Sunday morning it only took us 12 minutes (plus a few more when I thought the driver was asking if we were on an “Internal” flight and said yes, when he really asked if we were on an “International” flight and therefore took us to the wrong terminal. Luckily, I figured it out before we got out and made him circle again and drop us at the right building.

We landed in Izmir around 2pm and arrived at the “Brand New” Izmir Turkish Police Guest House. The staff was all VERY excited to check us in as our group was the ‘first ever’ guests in this new building. They brought us coffee, then after checking in, offered us wine and cheese. At the reception, I met Aili and Gisela’s colleagues from around the world – Tinus form South Africa, Hank from Sweden, George from the US as well as researchers from England, Canada and Australia – plus the Director General of the Turkish National Police (and, yes, we hit it off fabulously! – we’ll at least that’s what his interpreter said and she rolled her eyes).

The best part is that the guest house was full so had to put Aili, Suzel and I all in the same room – the only hotel room I’ve ever seen with three single beds! I think I may need some of that special ‘mother-in-law’ tea! (I joke, but traveling with Suzel has been nothing but pleasant – and no, I’m not just saying that because I know she’ll read this!)

No comments: